Paving the Path for Work
A new program, called Paving the Path for Work, supported by Scotiabank, will introduce participants to the world of work
Has a disability or another barrier prevented you from picturing yourself in the workforce? Have you ever wondered what it would be like to have a job? Are you interested in learning about the types of jobs that are best suited to your personality? Would you like to know how working would affect the benefits you’re currently receiving?
If you answered yes to any of the questions above, Paving the Path for Work can help you. This four-week, fully virtual program – being offered by March of Dimes Canada with generous support from Scotiabank – is for people who have had limited exposure to employment but want to learn more.
“We are pleased to support the March of Dimes Canada’s Paving the Path for Work program to help cultivate meaningful employment opportunities for people with disabilities,” says Sandra Odendahl, Scotiabank’s Vice President of Social Impact & Sustainability. “At Scotiabank, we believe inclusion makes us stronger and we’re committed to helping reduce barriers to employment for every future.”
We’re currently accepting applications for the first session of the program, which will start on Monday, May 31 and be offered in English and held entirely online.
During 30 to 35 hours over four weeks, you, and a small group of other participants, will have an opportunity to:
- Complete the ALiGN™ assessment to learn more about your personality, strengths and work style
- Take virtual tours of a variety of workplaces, including those in the digital economy
- Learn from guest speakers, including employers who hire people with disabilities and workers who have found ways to overcome barriers to employment
- Discuss workplace etiquette
- Work with a mentor who will share the benefits and rewards of working, and offer advice and guidance
- Improve your financial skills
- Find out how assistive technology can help remove barriers
- Build your confidence and independence
Are you ready to start learning about employment in a supportive group facilitated by a member of March of Dimes Canada’s Employment Services team? To register for the program beginning May 31 or to learn more about Paving the Path for Work, contact Lisa Livingston at firstname.lastname@example.org or 226-747-6196.
Thanks to Scotiabank’s generous support, we will be offering Paving the Path for Work twice a year (in June and September) for three years. The COVID-19 pandemic means that in-person mentorships, meetings and workplace tours are not an option for the May session; however, depending on local public health directives, the goal is to have in-person or a mix of approaches in future sessions.